• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

FoxPro

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
Anybody familiar with this software package. I have never encoutered unti now. I take it it's a amalgamation of scripts and an interpretor language (in C+ ?).
To make a long story short my whole company runs entirely on a BUNCH of menu choices. We have a long-time employee at another branch who does maitenence on the program. At my location it has been a bunch of mostly Access programs to handle the datat it spits out.
Absolutelely zero documentation is available (job security?). Nobody I have found at my branch knows any more than each button to hit and what hardwae to attach.
I introduced a new term to my peers "Charlie FoxtroT'. I guess the feeling is as long as it works. I should add they have had a new owner that tried to consolidate operations, before me. Now they are trying to unify branches. Going to be a fun ride.

Here's a snippet of what Wiki had to say about it. It doesn't look like it would be useful now as it says it was discontinued in 2007.

FoxPro was a text-based procedurally oriented programming language and database management system (DBMS), and it was also an object-oriented programming language, originally published by Fox Software and later by Microsoft, for MS-DOS, Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX. The final published release of FoxPro was 2.6. Development continued under the Visual FoxPro label, which in turn was discontinued in 2007.

FoxPro was derived from FoxBase (Fox Software, Perrysburg, Ohio), which was in turn derived from dBase III (Ashton-Tate) and dBase II. dBase II was the first commercial version of a database program written by Wayne Ratliff, called Vulcan, running on CP/M, as does dBase II.[1]

FoxPro was both a DBMS and a relational database management system (RDBMS), since it extensively supported multiple relationships between multiple DBF files (tables). However, it lacked transactional processing.

FoxPro was sold and supported by Microsoft after they acquired Fox Software in its entirety in 1992. At that time there was an active worldwide community of FoxPro users and programmers. FoxPro 2.6 for UNIX (FPU26) has even been successfully installed on Linux and FreeBSD using the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard (ibcs2) support library.

Back