• Donate
    TheWindowsForum.com needs donations to stay online!
    Love TheWindowsForum.com? Then help keep it alive by sending a donation!

Windows Linux UEFI exploit

WELCOME TO THEWINDOWSFORUM COMMUNITY!

Our community has more than 63,000 registered members, and we'd love to have you as a member. Join us and take part in our unbiased discussions among people of all different backgrounds about Windows OS, Software, Hardware and more.

DVDR_Dog

Ultimate Donator
Donator
VIP
Nov 5, 2018
I have a post in waiting for approval to explain this exploit. New protocol around here?
Until then let me share this with all you Linux folks. I am building a Linux based low-power NAS from the ground up. A "patch" was issued for Linux today to fix this exploit. My system along with many, many others running Ubuntu have had their systems hosed and unbootable as a result of this update. So much with the "How great Linux is". I have to tell you along the way I have found so many inconsistencies between every new release it's impossible to apply many guides to the current flavor. Such is the weakness of open source, everyone seems to have a better idea. Perhaps that's what happened to Java too before Sun took the helm and alienated all the other players.
I guess if you devote your life to Linux and stay with all the twists and turns it takes it has some strengths. It sure as heck has it's weaknesses for a developer.

Yes, linux has flaws but is the most secure systems, have you tried kali?
Secure? More than a typical Windows install yes but then we are comparing apples to oranges. Is it confusing as all get out between flavors? Yup. At first glance Linux presents a very secure interface. The biggest problem more often than not there are 20 or variations of command line instructions to perform the exact same task grandfathered from succeeded versions. I tend to doubt these may be properly addressed every time a new flavor is cooked up. No glory in that which tends to be the driving force in open source. So bottom line who knows how secure Linux really is.
Unfortunately uniformity may be Windows Achilles Heel. It lets all those script kiddies (remember them? Did they all grow up and get jobs?) hammer on Windows until dumb luck until they find a universal weakness.
I think if one wanted to devote some time I already see some opportunities to gain access to a Linux installation. The fact an update damages an install beyond repair kind of proves that. It's not my thing nor have I ever done this kind of hacking. My own experiences have been repairing damage an intruder has done to a system. You do learn a great deal from doing just that.

always back up
linux is about taking proactive control over your computer
some ppl don't really want that, or shouldn't do that
such a breaking update wouldn't be for a secure stable system, it would be first introduced in a testing system

always back up
linux is about taking proactive control over your computer
Maybe that's true with the commercial flavors but I have been dealing with Fedora and Ubuntu.
The control set changes syntax like I change my socks. If you care to dig through all the outdated somewhat obsolete documentation there exists the answer. That's the problem. Documentation is full of errors, add ons are just out there. sometimes they work, sometimes the latest version of Fedora or Ubuntu is rolled out and breaks it. Sometimes it get fixed, sometimes it doesn't.
Not sure how they get away with it but Amahi server has a bunch of open source and freeware apps they insist they doctored up to run on your Amahi server. You are charged a "convenience fee" to download most active apps in their site. Yet another face of Linux.

Yes, linux has flaws but is the most secure systems, have you tried kali?

Linux security is a total joke, you can't imagine how many bugs they let pile up or get forgotten.
You are definitely better off with Windows.

Check this personal page from one of whonix developers that demolishes a lot of security myths:

lol, i can't say better off with windows; windows is a huge ballsack
if you use a stable version of fedora or ubuntu you should be fine
there are shady ppl in all walks of life, even a church or even , gasp, government
so maybe amahi is not so great, now you know better, don't use it
can linux have problems? sure, it wouldn't be logical to expect perfection
is it better than windows? maybe not in some way, but generally yes, even if only because it isn't windows
but it is open source, by the people for the people
and that trumps any other argument

lol, i can't say better off with windows; windows is a huge ballsack
if you use a stable version of fedora or ubuntu you should be fine
there are shady ppl in all walks of life, even a church or even , gasp, government
so maybe amahi is not so great, now you know better, don't use it
can linux have problems? sure, it wouldn't be logical to expect perfection
is it better than windows? maybe not in some way, but generally yes, even if only because it isn't windows
but it is open source, by the people for the people
and that trumps any other argument

Yeah but too many security holes in it, that they don't bother to fix. If you want freedom, yeah Linux is better.
Linux just doesn't have malware for it. In that sense if your threat model is malware it has security by obscurity.

I don't say Windows is perfect, it is not, not even close. But still better than most Linux, unless you want to use something like QubesOS.

The main developer of grsecurity who hardens linux kernels is using Windows. That's say a lot.

In general Desktop OS are not robust, at least some of them are trying. Linux isn't.

it's do it yourself
and you can hire a professional linux adminstrator who knows how it works

or hold the hand of microsoft and trust they are your special jesus

Back